Financial TV Personalities Annoy Me ~ Thrifty Under Fifty: Living & Gift-Giving on the Cheap
Financial TV Personalities Annoy Me

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Financial TV Personalities Annoy Me

I've watched an entire episode of the Suze Orman Show exactly zero times. I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but my closest contact has been the skits lampooning her on Saturday Night Live.

Yet I find her fascinating, and I can't help but agree with her main message-- don't spend more than you have. Who can argue with that?

But so many people seem to forget that Orman is a TV personality and provides just as much (more?) entertainment as actual service. In fact, a recent article about Orman in the New York Times Magazine basically says that Orman's books and anecdotes seem to be much more positive and uplifting than facts would suggest.

Jon Stewart was lauded for striking a blow against financial punditry when he confronted Mad's Money's Jim Cramer on The Daily Show earlier this year. I'll admit I cheered along. Yet I've watched Cramer's show and have even read a couple of his books, and he provides some good tips and advice.

But if you're fooled into thinking he's much more than a carnie hocking the next "can't-lose" game in the business, than maybe, just maybe, you're asking to be fooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment