Muesli From My Mother-in-Law ~ Thrifty Under Fifty: Living & Gift-Giving on the Cheap
Muesli From My Mother-in-Law

Friday, May 8, 2009

Muesli From My Mother-in-Law


Happy Mother's Day (almost) to all those moms out there!

I'm not one myself, but I do have a pretty great mother and mother-in-law, so here's to you both. Cheers!

In their honor, I'm featuring one tasty, thrifty, easy recipe from each of them. My mother-in-law's muesli gets the spotlight today. And on Monday... well, you'll just have to see the recipe my mother has shared with me.

I like cereal, but I absolutely love this muesli. The recipe's pretty adaptable-- you can make it sweeter or healthier with little effort. I always half the recipe (and usually keep it in the oven for about half the time). The muesli stays fresh for a long time-- but it tastes so good that you'll probably never find out exactly how long!

I'll post the recipe exactly as it was given to me, but I usually change it based on what I have around. I use quick oats, skip the wheat germ, nuts & pumpkin seeds, and up the brown sugar and sunflower seeds. I'd like to try it with dried cranberries, too. Enjoy!

Muesli

1 cup wheat bran
6 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats (not quick oats)
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup nuts or pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup oil
1 1/2 cups raisins

Mix dry ingredients except raisins and heat in 300 degree oven for one hour. Stir every 15 minutes. A few minutes before removing from oven, stir in the raisins and heat another 5 minutes. Heat oil and honey together and pour over the dry ingredients after they are removed from the oven. Mix thoroughly. After cooled, store in air-tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment