Have a DVR? Cancel Netflix. ~ Thrifty Under Fifty: Living & Gift-Giving on the Cheap
Have a DVR? Cancel Netflix.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Have a DVR? Cancel Netflix.

I don't have Netflix.

But I do have at least a half dozen movies ready to watch at all times ... all at the press of a button.

Once every week or two I browse the movie channels that come with my cable plan-- AMC, TCM and IFC are usually the best, but even Comedy Central and the Disney Channel play some good flicks once in awhile. Then I DVR anything and everything that looks interesting.

Then when I'm in the mood for a movie, or my husband and I want to kick back on the weekends, we always have a large selection no matter what our mood.

The selection of movies is surprisingly large on these channels. Admittedly, you're not going to find many recently released selections like you would on HBO and Showtime, but you'll greatly increase your knowledge of classic movies. Jack Lemmon has become one of my favorite actors of all time because of my propensity to record his movies, and I'm slowly making my way through all of Woody Allen's works.

So cancel your Netflix subscription. Spend your extra cash on popcorn instead.

1 comment:

  1. That's a good idea if your cable company offers a DVR. We went with a local company that is cheaper but doesn't offer a DVR. But for phone, fast internet, and cable for 89 dollars a month for ever, that's ok with me.
    I canceled my Netflix subscription because they don't mail out movies on Saturday. So we never got movies on Mondays, and sometimes not on Tuesdays either. Which was quite bothersome. Also, some of the movies would be shipped from the other side of the country and would take longer to get there. We would have to wait to watch a movie, which defeats the whole purpose, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete