Money Opposites Really Do Attract ~ Thrifty Under Fifty: Living & Gift-Giving on the Cheap
Money Opposites Really Do Attract

Monday, August 24, 2009

Money Opposites Really Do Attract

I proudly proclaim that I'm thrifty, but even I have to admit that sometimes I go too far.

I fret over even small purchases and, at times, needlessly sacrifice fun and good eats for a few pennies. My husband, on the other hand, doesn't hesitate heading to the ATM for a good meal.

We knew our views on money differed long before we got married.

One of our earliest tiffs concerned ordering soda in restaurants, which I consider a waste of money. We long ago agreed to disagree on that one-- he orders his Coke while I opt for water.

Our first major fight also revolved around money. He wanted a new car, but I thought we should only consider used. I won that one (and, seven years later, we still drive the Saturn).

But despite our occasional, um, conversations about money, I think we're good for each other. I rein him in, he loosens me up.

More couples are in our situation than you might think. Tightwads and spendthrifts tend to become man and wife, according to a study reported on in the New York Times.

While people are attracted to those who are similar to themselves in every other way, opposites attract when it comes to spending habits.

On a thriftiness scale of 1 to 10 (1 being reserved for Mr. Scrooge), I'm probably a 3. I would rate my husband as a 6. He's not using $100 bills to light bonfires or anything, but we're far enough apart to cause many a disagreement.

But I'm making progress. I've even been known to order a Thai iced tea for supper. Shhhhh.

No comments:

Post a Comment